LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN NETWORK OF HEALTH INSTITUTIONS AGAINST TORTURE, IMPUNITY AND OTHER HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS
Court President Şırnak 2nd Heavy Penal Court Atatürk Mahallesi, A. Gaffar Okan Caddesi, Hükümet Konağı Yanı/Şırnak- Turkey
- President of the Republic of Turkey, Mr. Recep Tayyip Erdoğan
- Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr. Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu
- Minister of Justice, Mr. Abdulhamit Gül
- Minister of Interior, Mr. Süleyman Soylu
- Minister of Health, Mr. Fahrettin Koca
For the attention of the President of the Court, Fevzi Demirel,
The member organizations of the Latin American and Caribbean Network of Health Institutions against Torture, Impunity and Other Violations of Human Rights, ratify the letter that has been sent to you by the Secretary General of the International Rehabilitation Council for Torture Victims (IRCT), referring to the, in our opinion, groundless accusation against our colleague Dr. Sendar Küni, of being part of an armed organization for the mere fact of having provided attention to so called members of an armed organization. We want to remind of the Hippocratic Oath to which every doctor
submits when agreeing to enter to the profession: “I will not allow considerations of religion, nationality, race, political partisanship or social class to interfere between my duty and my patient.” Even though it is a basic principle, for many politicians it is hard to accept if it goes against their interests.
We respectfully recommend that you are aware of how to undertake your profession in complete independence from any political pressure you may have.
We fully adhere to the procedural guarantees and the international human rights standards required by the IRCT:
- Fully guarantee Küni’s fair trial rights including in relation to the admission
and evaluation of evidence;
- To ensure that no evidence obtained through torture or ill-treatment is admitted in the process and to order prompt and independent investigations into all allegations that witnesses have been tortured or ill-treated; and
- Ensure that Turkey’s obligation to protect the right to health, medical neutrality, and freedom of association and expression are respected and fulfilled by rejecting the groundless charges against Dr. Küni.
Centre for Mental Health and Human Rights Alternatives (ATYHA), Paraguay. Centre for Mental Health and Human Rights (CINTRAS), Chile.
Centre for Prevention, Treatment and Rehabilitation of Victims of Torture and their Family Members (CPTRT), Honduras.
Psychosocial Care Centre, (CAPS), Perú. Psychosocial Care Centre, (CAPS), Colombia.
Collective against Torture and Impunity (CCTI), Mexico.
Argentinian Community Studies and Psychosocial Action Team (EATIP), Argentina. Community Studies and Psychosocial Action Team (ECAP), Guatemala.
Foundation for the Integral Rehabilitation of Victims of Violence (PRIVA), Ecuador. Regional Human Rights Advisory Foundation (INREDH), Ecuador.
Mutual Support Group (GAM), Guatemala.
Institute for the Research and Therapy of the Consequences of Torture and State Violence (ITEI), Bolivia.
Office of Human Rights of the Archbishopric of Guatemala (ODHAG), Guatemala. Network for Childhood and Family (REDINFA), Peru.
- kuni.pdf (77 Downloads)
Latest from Juventina
- XVI Aniversario del CCTI y la Jornada de lucha contra la tortura, en el marco del 26 de junio, Día Internacional de Apoyo a las Víctimas de Tortura
- ACCIÓN URGENTE Personas heridas por armas de fuego en San Mateo del Mar, Oaxaca.
- Carta abierta de víctimas y familiares de víctimas
- Pronunciamiento conjunto en el marco de la protesta social por la exigencia de justicia para Giovanni López en Guadalajara, Jalisco
- Hoy recordamos al profesor Héctor Cruz Mosqueda